You know those days when you just want a big plate of comfort food? Something carb loaded, comforting, quick and vegan. This is my go to recipe for those kind of days. It is easy to add a big pile of spinach wilted with garlic or salad to rack up one of your five a day. It is also a winner with kids, including the hormonal teenage variety. The recipe itself is fairly basic and easy to make. You can have it in the oven in 20 minutes, even quicker if you make the sauce and heat the oven whilst the pasta is cooking.
Ingredients – Makes 4 generous portions
- 400g pasta- I used macaroni but any will work
- 75g vegan butter
- 75g plain flour
- 750ml vegan milk of choice
- 3/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, panko are the best
- 1 dessertspoon garlic puree
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 dessertspoon mixed herbs
- Vegan cheese – as much or little as you like. You can omit this entirely if you prefer
- Salt & pepper to season
1. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain in a colander.
2. Melt the butter in a pan (I use the pasta one whilst it drains in a colander)
3. Remove butter from heat and add flour. Mix to a smooth paste.
4. Add milk to mixture and whisk until smooth. This is better done off the heat to prevent lumps.
5. Return sauce to heat to thicken. You will need to keep whisking to prevent lumps as the mixture will thicken quickly.
6. Add seasoning and garlic puree and nutritional yeast. If the sauce over thickens, add a little extra milk and whisk.
7. Put the pasta in an oven proof dish and pour on sauce. Mix until pasta is coated.
8. Sprinkle salt, pepper, one handful of breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast and, if using, vegan cheese. I like to sprinkle chilli flakes too but I consider myself a maverick so this one is at your own risk!
9. Bake until the top is golden brown. We love salad and garlic bread or mixed green vegetables.